About the Property
Situated on the campus of Swarthmore College, The Inn at Swarthmore is the home of the Community Bookstore and Broad Table Tavern, our full-service restaurant featuring locally sourced cuisine. Our passionate team provides attentive service to guests visiting Swarthmore College and the surrounding Philadelphia area.
We build our team with compassionate, ambitious, and friendly people who share our values of Fun, Concern for Others, Trust, Accountability, and Continuous Improvement.
Thank you for your interest in our available positions. Please complete the employment form below and share with us a little bit more about yourself.
- Leadership – ability to effectively motivate, mentor, coach & counsel others to perform well (including appropriate documentation)
- Customer Service – deliver hospitable service that is attentive, friendly, efficient and courteous; demonstrate patience, tact and diplomacy
- People Skills – ability to collaborate, create rapport, and work effectively with others
- Communication Skills – ability to effectively listen & communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing
- Problem-Solving & Analytical Skills – ability to identify the issue, collect and analyze information to understand the problem and effectively resolve. Identify, recommend, and implement best practices
- Judgment & Discretion – appropriately handle confidential and sensitive information
- Organizational & Time Management Skills – ability to appropriately schedule time to meet job demands, multi-task, prioritize, follow through, and work efficiently with limited supervision
- Aptitude & Adaptability – ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing priorities and business needs
- Composure – ability to maintain composure and work under pressure, managing stress to meet business demands (Calmly handle all customer and employee interactions & issues)
- Attention to Detail – ability to follow instructions and achieve thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing tasks
- Computer skills/ Technical Aptitude – proficiency in computer technology, i.e. e-mail, MS Word, Excel, & other hotel related systems. Utilize technology to enhance organizational efficiency
- Training – ability to share knowledge and act as a resource in teaching others to perform tasks efficiently and safely
- Must have strong Culinary/cooking skills - skilled in different styles of cooking
- Food cost analysis, i.e., knowledge of food ordering, inventories, labor control
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of kitchen equipment use and operation
- Knife skills, grill, broiler, sauté and Expediter skills; garde manger experience
- Financial understanding in food costs and minimizing waste in the kitchen
Experience / Education:
Minimum 2 years’ of high volume kitchen management; catering/banquet experience, management or previous supervisory experience in food and beverage operations preferred; Culinary degree desirable or equivalent combination of education and work; previous experience with employee coaching and counselling as well as documentation; experience with documenting and enforcing food safety procedures and workplace safety procedures, as well as purchasing, receiving and inventory control. Serve Safe Certification and Allergy Awareness Training strongly preferred.
Work is performed in a hotel environment; this position is physically demanding as it requires extended periods of walking, standing, bending, and lifting up to 50 pounds. Moderate levels of computer keying using both hands and viewing material on a computer screen. Requires flexible working hours including nights and weekends; Extended workdays may be required to accomplish tasks and meet workload demands during peak periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To apply for this job, please use the form below